Latest News

RESULTS: Tuesday Night Mixed League: V8 Supercars International, Round 5 @ Oran Park GP Circuit

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

A trip back to home soil saw the teams descend on an old V8 Supercar and Australian Touring Car Championship stomping ground. Now a housing estate, Oran Park is a natural amphitheatre which was always a favourite with crowds and drivers alike. Whilst it may now be extinct, its memory lives on at Racecentre!


Michael Gray continued his excellent run of qualifying performances with a devastatingly quick lap. The race would cause a shakeup in the field before the first turn. Jeremy Pernesz and Michael collided and continued, however the gravel trap hampered their progress and sent them to the back of the field. The top-five runners had a monumental scrap, all within half-a-second of each other for more than ¾ of the race. Whilst they battled with themselves, Michael and Jeremy made up the lost time and entered the fray. Jeremy however had a big lose coming out of the unforgiving, uphill last turn and sustained heavy damage. By the latter stages of the race, Michael had caught leader Mark Kearon. Swapping of positions ensued; however Michael had made an uncharacteristic mistake at turn one with a few laps to go, handing the win to Mark. Scott Durham rounded out the podium to finish a credible third.


Mark continued his success in race two by taking pole position; however a smokey start relegated him down to sixth by the first corner. An opportunistic Michael took the lead whilst Jeremy continued his stream of bad luck to end up in the gravel again at turn one. Michael spun out of the lead handing the lead to the charging Mark, however after coming into the pits for a fresh set of boots, spun on his out lap – cold tyres and enthusiastic throttle use being the culprit. Whilst everyone pitted to change their Dunlop’s, Matt Refalo elected to take a gamble and run the whole race without stopping. A nail biting finish saw Matt take the chequered flag from Michael by a mere six seconds.



A pattern seemed to be forming over the course of the round – the winner of the previous race would take pole position in the next. Race three would be no exception with Matt claiming the top spot. A relatively clean start saw most of the field file through the tight first sector; however Jeremy’s voodoo-like curse with turn-one appeared again and sent him wide. Michael also had a poor start and saw himself battling for position with Jeremy for most of the race. On his first pit stop, Jeremy incurred a drive-through penalty for speeding in the pit lane, however was accredited with another for speeding on his penalty drive-through. Nothing was stopping Matt though and in a somewhat processional race, made all the right moves to clinch his second race win of the round by over twenty seconds!

With just three rounds to go, the championship heads directly north to the famous Japanese circuit of Suzuka. If you are interested in joining one of Racecentre’s many upcoming leagues, please do not hesitate to contact the staff.


Round Winners Round 1  Round 2  Round 3  Round 4  Round 5         Round  6      Round 7  Round 8 
Scott Durham 7 5 0 8 5      
Poland Lau 3 0 4 4 3      
Dan Maher 4.5 6 0 5 0      
Michael Gray 10 10 6 6 8      
James Kyte 4.5 8 0 0 0      
Sam Owen 0 2 5 3 2      
Jeremy Pernesz 0 4 8 10 4      
Mark Kearon 0 0 0 3 6      
Matthew Refalo 7 6 10 0 10      
Overall Leaderboard Total
Michael Gray 40
Matthew Refalo 33
Jeremy Pernesz 26
Scott Durham 26
Dan Maher 15.5
Poland Lau 14
James Kyte 12.5
Sam Owen 12
Mark Kearon 9

By Ryan Bestulic.


Captcha Image